Tuesday, July 7, 2009

DC Eats: Hank's Oyster Bar

Hank's Oyster Bar is one of those places that you go once, and think, man I should really come here more often... and then you never do. Not because you don't want to, but because it's far (from me in MD), small, crowded, doesn't take reservations, and it manages to slip off your radar after a while. But sometimes plans work out, the weather's great, and there happens to be NO WAIT for a table at Hank's... a night of good eats is in order!


Mmm... slippery.


Glass of white wine and some freebie Goldfish crackers in hand, we took a look at the menu. I was at Hank's pretty much for the Lobster Roll, but T had never tried oysters before so we each got 2 ($2.00/oyster). I believe he got one from PEI (Prince Edward Island) and another one I can't remember. I also got 2, shown above, both from WA, one was called a Hootenanny and the other one didn't have a funny name so I can't remember, haha. Notice how I thought I was being smart and getting the names down on the ticket in the photo, neglecting to realize that it's completely obscured by the plate. Both of my oysters were fresh-tasting and I liked their mignonette (top left, next to the lemon) with the oyster the best.



Hello Loverrrrrrr

And here we are with the star of the show- the LOBSTER ROLL ($23.00). I had high expectations for Hank's version of a classic, and this did not disappoint. Huge chunks of lobster with just the right amount of mayo and other crunchy fillers (celery? onion? Not 100% sure), on a buttered split roll....yummmmmm. I got the roll with Old Bay fries, but you can substitute any of their sides (T got the collard greens). The fries were ok, not great, next time I get this I will try it with a different side. It might seem like a lot to spend on, well, a sandwich, but this isn't just any old sandwich my friends, it's fabulous, delicious & juicy, and I Love Love Love it. (Channelling my inner Teresa from RHoNJ).

Hank's does not offer dessert but will bring out a little dish of broken up chocolate for each table with the check. Clearly that didn't stop us from going to Mr. Yogato right around the corner from Hank's.



Domo arigato, Mr. Yogato


I got the original tart with fresh strawberries, and T got the chocolate-hazelnut with Cookie Crisps. I was way too full to finish all of mine but it was a great end to the meal! Works out really well that Hank's doesn't serve dessert, since you can walk 10 feet to Mr. Yogato, grab some froyo, and walk around Dupont. Definitely want to come back to Hank's again this summer for another Lobster Roll!

- Hank's Oyster Bar
1624 Q Street NW
Washington, DC 20009
202.462.4265 (No reservations; call ahead to put your name on the seating list)

- Mr. Yogato
1515 17th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
202.629.3531







1 comment: