Monday, January 4, 2010

Restaurant Review: Rosa Mexicano, DC



Frozen Pomegranate Margarita

I've been to Rosa Mexicano many times in the past, but it's been a while (and definitely pre-blogging), so here's a look at what S and I got at dinner a few weeks ago.  Starting off with the usual, frozen pomegranate margarita, pictured above.  Even when I didn't like hard alcohol, I still liked this drink, haha. 


 
Guacamole en Molcajete

Another "usual" menu item for us is the tableside guacamole.  Can't have a meal here without it!  I like that you can be specific about the spice level and texture for the guacamole. 

 
Special: Rolled Lobster Tacos

We each ordered that day's special appetizer, the rolled lobster tacos above.  In retrospect, we probably could've ordered one order to share, but we weren't sure about how big they were/how many there would be on the plate.   The crispy taco shell, the lobster chunks, and the sauce were great.  The only thing I didn't like was the chunky potato filling inside- it was too much for me and took away from the other fresh flavors.  

 
Empanadas de Jaiba (Crab Empanadas)

I ordered another appetizer as my entree- the crab empanadas above.  First- I'm not really sure about their plating on this one.  Doesn't it look so lonely?  I feel like the way it's plated makes it seem like something's lacking, but maybe that's just me.  These were tasty pockets of crab, and I loved the mango salsa that came alongside it. 


Budin de Pollo (Chicken Tortilla Pie)

S got the chicken tortilla pie, which was an enormous plate of cheesy goodness.  It had a great mix of flavors, the chicken wasn't dry, and fantastic to warm up with on a cold night. 


Pinguino (Hazelnut Chocolate Cupcake)

Finally, for dessert, we split the hazelnut chocolate cupcake.  I liked the whipped cream and the sauce on the bottom, haha.  The cupcake itself was pretty dry and could've definitely been prepared better. 

Overall, Rosa Mexicano has been a good standby  for fun food and drinks.  It's located directly across from the Gallery Place Metro,  so it's v. easy to get to.  If anything, it's a great place to stop in for a few margaritas and some guacamole :o)  

3 comments:

  1. The chicken tortilla pie looks a little bit like the quesadilla pie I made from Real Simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I - it really is! TF loved the leftovers! haha

    ReplyDelete