Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Restaurant Review: Sushi Taro, Restaurant Week

I am usually a little iffy about Restaurant Week- it really depends on where you go , and remembering what makes it "worthwhile" to you.  To me, it really should be worth the money you're paying- why bother going somewhere if you could normally get a full meal there for less than $30?  I decided to try out Sushi Taro mainly because they had gone through a major renovation, both physically and in their menu.  Their dinners especially are pretty expensive compared to how they were before, so I was excited to finally try it out.    

Appetizer: Japanese New Year Plate

The first course consisted of a plate of little bites from a traditional Japanese New Year meal.  It included black beans, pickled daikon and carrot, small fish, mashed sweet chestnuts, duck (which I don't think is really traditional), and slices of fish cake.  I was pleasantly surprised that all of this was offered- it is normally a v. labor-intensive process to make all of these dishes for New Year's in Japan, not to mention that there's a lot of meaning in each dish, and I'm not sure that most people would know that when they're eating this, haha.   It was a nice familiar start to the meal for me since my family used to eat a similar collection of plates when I was younger. 

 
Mixed Tempura

The second course was a choice of either Sashimi or Mixed Tempura.   Both N and I opted for the Mixed Tempura- I picked it mainly because the Sashimi plate was pretty much the same fish that was offered in the Sushi course to follow.  I love tempura, but try to not eat it that often since it's not so great for you.  But it was well worth ordering, with two large shrimp and some veggies to complete the fried plate o' deliciousness. 

 
Miso Soup

 
Sushi

 
Design pressed into the egg.  

The Sushi course was larger than I expected, and all pretty delicious as well.  The only one I don't like is the Ikura (roe), which I've never really liked due to its texture.  But I liked everything else so I was really happy with this platter.   I thought it was interesting that their Tamagoyaki (rolled egg) had a design burnt into it- I've seen this at places in Japan but not really around here.  Doesn't change the taste or anything, just thought it was interesting. 


Dessert (?)

Finally, the "Dessert Course".  I say that in quotes because- well, see the photo above.  A 1" cube of fruit and gelatin does not a dessert make, at least in my eyes, haha.  I could see why they had this, since the other courses were really filling, but still... I LOVE DESSERTS!!!!  This is not a dessert!!!  

Besides my mini-rant about "dessert", the meal was delicious overall and I am totally happy with deciding to go here for Restaurant Week.  It was a great way to try out the "new" Sushi Taro without dropping $100 on a kaiseki meal there.  I think they do have a few a la carte items for Lunch and some of the Dinner menu, which I am looking forward to trying out soon.

2 comments:

  1. Sushi Taro WAS delicious. I seriously liked everything (except some of the sushi, which didn't go to waste!). I know they have great lunch specials, but I'm never around there for lunch! Except those pesky "monday" holidays which no one else seems to get off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures make me want sushi - YUM

    ReplyDelete